Wednesday, February 28, 2018

March Challenge - Steps

It's my sister's turn to set our challenge for month (thank goodness this is the last day for squats... woohoo! 280 today - yikes!), and she's picked trying to get 70,000 steps per week (average 10,000 a day).  We get a point every week if we reach 70,000 (with the option to earn bonus points if we hit 100,000 steps in a week, and an additional point for every 1,000 steps over 100,000), and then start over for the next week. Her "rules" and point system will take a little keeping track but should be easy enough to follow - I have a pedometer on my watch that I'll hopefully keep an eye on to see my  daily steps so I know if I'm falling behind! Every night I'll record that days step count total and add it up at the end of the week.

In summary (per week - 3/1-3/7, 3/8 - 3/14, 3/15 - 3/21, 3/22 - 3/28):

70,000 steps   = 1 point
100,000 steps = 1 extra point
101,000 steps = 1 extra point
102,000 steps = 1 extra point and so on...

Start the count over every week. There is a potential to gain lots of points this month which I plan to do in case there are upcoming monthly challenges that I don't hit!! I'm going to stock up as many points as possible hahaha.

Who's up for a step challenge this month (with or without points earned!)? A few ideas that we've heard SO many times before (but usually ignore) on how to get those steps in:

-park far away instead of circling for a front row parking space
-pace when talking on the phone, doing the laundry, cooking, waiting an hour for the doc to finally see you (yes, she made me wait an hour and I should have been pacing instead of stewing!)
-ignore the elevator and escalators, take the stairs!
-stand up and walk around the house during commercial breaks (instead of fast forwarding them!)
-set a reminder on your phone to get up and walk or march in place for a couple minutes every hour
-return your shopping cart to a cart corral far from where you parked
-bring in the groceries one bag at a time
-don't park close to the store you want to go to in the mall, get in a little mall walking
-have a little random dance party in your kitchen
-get up a little early and go for a walk
-you've heard the saying "if your dog is fat you probably aren't getting enough steps in"?

And now some motivational images to get you started! You're getting a bunch because I couldn't decide which I liked best. And apparently because I have too much time on my hands (I should be getting steps instead of searching online for motivational quotes to get me to not sit at the computer all day!).














No comments:

Post a Comment