Wednesday, November 17, 2021

Chocolate Zucchini Brownies

My bad memory can't remember why Ginny asked me to find a recipe for brownies with zucchini in them, but I'm always game to experiment and don't really need a reason hahahah. I do remember she had the best vegetarian zucchini brownies somewhere, I think I'm trying to recreate them - but since I didn't have the best vegetarian zucchini brownies I'm not sure what I'm aiming for LOL! Here is my first try, I followed the recipe to a T other than I used 1/2 dark chocolate and 1/2 mini semi-sweet chips. I think they are pretty good, very cake-y in texture - I wasn't sure I loved them but Dave ate a couple and loves them, doesn't think they are too cake-like. No eggs are in this recipe, wonder if that's why they aren't super dense and fudge-y? idk. I will most likely try another couple recipes before telling her which I recommend, in the meantime these are a winner (in Dave's book) and a great way to use up a couple zucchinis - that reminds me, you cannot tell at all that these have zucchini in them! I shredded them very finely in my food processor and they completely go away once baked. 


One more thing - the batter is dry crumbs until you add the zucchini, don't think there is something wrong - it'll turn into moist batter!

I lied - the last thing is that I really like that these are not overly sweet, if you like them more sweet I'd put frosting on them  :) 

  • 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
  • 1/2 cup canola oil or vegetable oil
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
  • 2 cups shredded zucchini don't squeeze out the moisture
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
  • 1 1/4 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips 

1.  Preheat oven to 350'. Grease a 9x13" baking pan with cooking spray, set aside. 

2. In a stand mixer, combine sugar, oil, and flour, combine until mixture resembles wet sand. It will be dry looking and that is ok. While mixing, on low, add cocoa shredded zucchini, vanilla, salt and baking soda. Mix until well combined. The mixture will moisten once the zucchini is added. Stir in one cup of the chocolate chips. 

3. Pour brownie batter into prepared pans and sprinkle with remaining chocolate chips. Bake for 28-32 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean and the brownies are set. 

4. Cool completely on a wire rack. Cut brownies into squares and serve. 





recipe found here

11.17.20: TT: cast iron pan info

No comments:

Post a Comment