Thursday, April 21, 2022

MSIH: Chicken Broccoli Casserole

Today's 'my sis is hungry' review is for chicken broccoli casserole, here's what she has to say in her own words - recipe and my notes to follow:

So my sister was on a roll last week when Dave was gone and I was the lucky recipient of meals.  As she handed me this one she made a comment about me not needing to review it as it was “nothing”.  She said she was sure it would be fine but not exciting enough to review.   I gotta say she was completely wrong.  I LOVED this.  I loved it so much that I had it for dinner twice and then for breakfast a third day. (yes she made a lot..)

I have no idea what was in it but the flavor was great.  it was slightly creamy, cheesy, and like a thick soup.  It was REALLY delish.

As a side note she asked me what I served it over top of and my answer is nothing.  I ate it plain.  Again- like very thick soup.  LOVE.  Can’t wait to see the recipe for this one so I can see if its in my wheelhouse to make- as I definitely would. 



*INGREDIENTS: 4 PERS.


°450 g broccoli in pieces
°2 tbsp. butter
°60 g chopped onion
°2 tbsp. tsp chop green pepper
°2 tbsp. flour
°1 pinch of salt
°1 pinch of pepper
°250ml milk
°450 g cooked chicken, cut into cubes
°120 g grated cheddar cheese

*PREPERATION :

1.
Preheat the oven Th.6 (180°C).
2.
Melting butter in bain-marie.
3.
Add the onion and green pepper, cook over low heat. Add the flour and mix well.

4.
Gradually add milk, stirring constantly until thickened. Add salt and pepper.
5.
Add the chicken and broccoli.
6.
Pour everything into a greased baking dish. Sprinkle with grated cheese.
7.
Bake 30 mins.

Jill here - she's right, I did think this seemed like a not-exciting dinner, it does taste good I just thought it was a little boring - it's pretty much chopped chicken and broccoli in a milk gravy. But then she raved so I figured what do I know hahahha. The recipe above is how it's written (recipe found here) so I did a little converting (ok, ok, Mr. Google did some converting) and will share that info so you don't have to figure it out; I also skipped whatever a bain-marie is (once again, I googled it - basically it's a double boiler) and just melted the butter in a saucepan on the stove. I used more milk then the recipe calls for, it was very thick with only 1 cup; and I added a little grated parmesan, cuz why not?

  • 1 lb. broccoli, chopped into bite-sized pieces
  • 1 lb cooked chicken, chopped 
  • 1/4 cup chopped onion
  • 2 T. green pepper, chopped (I don't like green pepper so I substituted orange)
  • 2 T. butter
  • 2 T. flour
  • pinch salt and pepper 
  • 1 cup milk (plus more to get the right consistency)
  • 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
  • 1/4 cup grated parmesan
Preheat the oven to 350'

Melt the butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and green pepper, cook for a couple minutes until the onion is translucent; stir in the flour and cook for a couple minutes. Gradually add the milk, stirring continuously until thickened. Season with salt and pepper. Add the chicken and broccoli, stir to combine.

Put the mixture in a greased casserole dish, sprinkle with cheeses. Bake uncovered for 30 minutes. 











No comments:

Post a Comment