Thursday, April 28, 2022

MSIH: Crock Pot Cheesy Chicken and Rice

My sister asked me this week if I’m hungry and of course the answer is heck yeah!!

I sent her some random recipe’s I found and saved to see if she wanted to try any of those. (last time that’s how I got that awesome crack chicken stuff.. yum.  Look that one up if you haven’t tried it yet).  oh also I think I sent her that amazing peanut butter one that had nutter butters in the bottom.  I could eat that one for dinner – even if I shouldn’t. LOL.



So anyway- this time was some kind of crock pot chicken and rice dish.  She was kind enough to make it for us so I was of course happy to try it and tell her what I think! (the least I can do!)

This one wasn’t an award winner for us.  It had “potential” but the way the recipe was as written was only ok.  The chicken had good flavor, I loved the corn, I think the issue was just that it all kind of blended together in one big mush.  Not a ton of flavor but “decent”.  The second night we still had left overs so since I don’t want to cook for myself I decided to doctor it and try again.

I added more chicken soup (to make it saucier), a scoop of light sour cream, and some more Colby jack cheese on top.  I then baked it in the oven until cheese melted.  This honestly was a bit better.  It gave it more flavor.  Upon more thought I think I should have added maybe broccoli?  Or mushrooms?  Just to add a different texture?  It definitely has potential with a little more something.  I make suggestions only- I’m sure Jill can figure out what that right “something” is- and I’ll be ready to try it again. HAHAHA 

  • 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts 
  • 1 large onion, chopped 
  • 1 (10.5 ounce) can cream of chicken soup 
  • 1 (8 ounce) box Zatarain's Yellow Rice Mix 
  • 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese 
  • 1 (15 ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained

  • 1. Place chicken in the slow cooker. 
    Sprinkle chopped onion over top and dollop cream of chicken soup over top. Cook on low for 7 hours or high for 3 hours. 
    2. 
    About 30 minutes before serving, cook the rice according to package instructions. 

    3. Remove chicken from slow cooker and shred; return to slow cooker.

    4. Once rice is cooked, stir it into the chicken mixture in the slow cooker. Stir in shredded cheese and corn. Continue cooking just until cheese is melted. 
  • found here

    Jill here - I agree with the review, the flavor is good but it melded together into the same texture and color so it comes off as 'mushy'; adding broccoli and/or mushrooms, or peas to add another texture and color would make it better. It's a worthwhile recipe, just needs a little tweak. 



  • No comments:

    Post a Comment