Wednesday, March 22, 2023

SM: Gluten-Free Pineapple Upside Down Cupcakes

Macey can't eat gluten so has been shorted on getting goodies from me, when I saw a gluten-free cake mix at the grocery store I thought I'd give it a try and make her pineapple upside-down cupcakes (I was going to make a whole cake and cut out a piece for us to try before giving the rest to her but that's kinda rude hahah - cupcakes allows me to try them without anyone noticing!), I've not experimented with gluten-free baking and learned a couple things. 

Sidenote: I'm not sure if cupcakes are considered a 'starch', more like a sweet/sugar, but since this gluten-free mix includes brown rice flour, potato starch, and tapioca starch - and I'm doing starch month - I'm including it!

I followed the directions on the box except I replaced half of the milk with pineapple juice. The box said to bake for 28-34 minutes and that seemed way too long to me for cupcakes so I set the timer at 15 minutes thank goodness - they actually felt a little over-baked to the touch at 15.

To make the cupcakes: spray a 12-cup muffin tin with nonstick spray. Cut 1/2 stick butter into cubes, put an even amount of cubes into each muffin cup. Turn on the oven to 350' and put the tin into the oven as it's heating. Pull it out when the butter is melted and add 1 teaspoon brown sugar to each cup. Let the sugar melt a bit and stir it into the butter. Put a maraschino cherry in the center of each cup, surround it with pieces of pineapple (or I like to use crushed but didn't have that on hand), set aside until you make the cake batter. 

Once you've mixed the batter, spoon it evenly overtop the fruit. Bake in preheated oven for less than 15 minutes, next time I'll check them at 13 minutes. When done, turn out onto a cooling rack. 



Macey was super surprised and happy, she sent me a video of her eating one as soon as Dave delivered them and before he even left the driveway haha. She texted this instant review: 

Oh my gosh, they’re so good! If you didn’t know they were gluten-free, you probably wouldn’t have known it. It is so very similar to regular pineapple upside down cake. Honestly, they are a little more dry then normal, but that’s not you that’s the cake. And it’s missing the binder a.k.a. the gluten so it actually is a little more dry naturally. All of the breads and stuff aren’t as moist but 🤷‍♀️ I’ve been eating this way for a while now, I feel like I’m finally acclimated to the taste of gluten-free… seriously, thank you so so much! 

update 3/23/23: I've learned since making these that there are some things you can do to help with the dryness of gluten-free things like adding more fat, baking at a lower temp, and adding plain greek yogurt or sour cream. I'll post more about this in a few days but wanted you to have the info sooner if you want to make these ahead of time!



No comments:

Post a Comment