Friday, March 31, 2023

SM: 3-Ingredient Stovetop Mac and Cheese

I was super-intrigued by the technique of making this mac and cheese - you put the macaroni in a pan, barely cover with water and bring to a boil. The water gets absorbed and you don't drain it off like when you usually boil pasta - hmmm, different right? The starch in the water helps the sauce thicken. If you're familiar with microwave mac n cheese cups this reminds me of how to prepare them (fill water in the cup to the line, microwave and add the cheese packet) but this tastes so much better!! It also reminds me a bit of melted velveeta, once the cheese cools it get's really thick but I just added a little water and stirred and it got saucy again. This is a really quick, easy dish and we both loved it - I will 100% make this in the future! 

The recipe title is '3-ingredients' and I had to laugh at one of the snotty reviewers that said 'technically it's 4-ingredients' because of the salt. I almost wrote 'technically it's 5-ingredients because of the water' LOL. Made myself laugh. 

  • 6 ounces elbow macaroni (1 1/2 cups)
  • salt
  • 6 ounces evaporated milk (I used low-fat)
  • 6 ounces grated mild or medium cheddar cheese, or any good melting cheese such as Gontina, Gruyere, or Jack (I used 1/2 mild shredded cheddar and 1/2 shredded Monterey Jack)
1. Place macaroni in a medium saucepan or skillet and add just enough cold water to cover. Add a pinch of salt and bring to a boil over high heat, stirring frequently. Continue to cook, stirring, until water has been almost completely absorbed and macaroni is just shy of al dente, about 6 minutes.

2. Immediately add evaporated milk and bring to a boil. Add cheese. Reduce heat to low and cook, stirring continuously, until cheese is melted and liquid has reduced to a creamy sauce, about 2 minutes longer. Season to taste with more salt and serve immediately. 

Makes 2 generous servings - by that I mean there was enough for both of us to have small seconds with no leftovers. 

can you see the water level? it's just over top of the uncooked macaroni

PS: technically it's 6 ingredients because I added pepper 😂


recipe found here at serious eats. they have lots of info and notes if you want to read more. 




No comments:

Post a Comment