Tuesday, March 28, 2023

Tip-sy Tuesday: Gluten-Free quick bread baking tips

I made a few loaves of Irish bread for St. Patrick's Day and since Macey was coming and has to eat gluten-free I decided to make a loaf for her using a gluten-free flour blend. After the pineapple-upside down cupcakes I made last week that were a little dry (I didn't know that about GF baked goods, I guess it's common knowledge but not to me!) I did a little research on what to do to help combat dryness. 

I substituted the GF flour blend for regular wheat flour and followed the usual recipe with the additions of 1/4 cup canola oil, 1/8 cup additional sugar, 1 T. extra baking powder, and a big spoonful of sour cream (probably 1/3 cup). I read to not scoop the gluten-free flour with the measuring cup but spoon the flour into the cup - I always do that anyway, but it's a good tip even with wheat flour if you don't already do that. Preheat the oven 25' lower than the regular recipe calls for, and check for doneness sooner than the standard recipe indicates. I pulled the bread out when the skewer I poked into the bread had a little loose batter on it, if it comes out clean you've probably over-baked the bread. 

I taste tested side-by-side and if I didn't know the gluten-free was gluten-free I would not have known. It was really close to the regular loaf, a touch drier but still really good. I'll continue to tweak and see if adding more oil and additional sour cream help and if so I'll post an update. But in the meantime this was a very successful remake of a wheat flour based recipe. 

I didn't take a picture of the bread because I didn't think about making a blog post out of it - but Macey sent me a picture in a text about how much of the bread she had already eaten haha so I saved it for this post. The pic doesn't do the bread justice but it wasn't meant to, at least I have one! 


3.28.22: Miss Lori's Easter porch decor 

3.28.21: ðŸ”¥week 13

3.28.20: road trip day 6

3.28.19: how to sew silverware pouches


3.28.17: DIY mod podge

3.28.16: make a zipper bracelet


No comments:

Post a Comment