Thursday, March 9, 2023

SM: Dynamite Shrimp Rice Bowl

I haven't made a knockoff of one of my sis's hello fresh/home chef meals lately - so when I couldn't think of anything to make for dinner last night I remembered this recipe for 'dynamite shrimp rice bowl' and figured I'd try something different. I don't like spicy so 'dynamite' worried me a bit, but the only spice is from the boom boom sauce so I made my own version and left the heat out (you can purchase boom boom sauce in a bottle but I'm betting it'd be too spicy for me!). 


I liked this more than Dave did but that might have been because I forgot to add the wonton strips (I topped my leftovers for breakfast with them and the crunch added quite a lot), he isn't a big sauce guy so didn't add the boom boom sauce, and he also said it needed more salt (why he didn't just add more salt at the table is on him 🙄). The original recipe called for 'cilantro lime' seasoning and seasoned rice vinegar, I didn't have those so changed it to dried cilantro and lemon pepper instead, and white vinegar.  

The original recipe heated the rice before mixing it with the other ingredients, I mixed mine in cold and then had the thought that shrimp don't take very long to cook and it might take longer for the rice to get hot - so I baked the rice a few minutes before adding the shrimp. If you start with the rice hot I don't think you would need to prebake it, making this a very quick dish. 

Here's how I made the knockoff recipe:

  • 1 cup edamame (shelled)
  • 1 cup cole slaw mix
  • 2 cups cooked jasmine rice
  • 1 t. dried cilantro
  • 1 t. lemon pepper
  • salt and pepper
  • 1 T. soy sauce
  • 1 T. white vinegar
  • 1 lb. shrimp, peeled, deveined, tails-off
  • boom boom sauce
  • wonton strips

Preheat oven 400'. Pat shrimp dry, set aside. 

Combine rice, edamame, slaw mix, cilantro, lemon pepper, salt and pepper to taste. Spread into an even layer in a baking dish. Bake for 10 minutes.

Remove pan from the oven. Top mixture with shrimp, season with a little salt and pepper. Bake uncovered for 15-18 minutes until shrimp is cooked thru. 

Remove from the oven. Stir in vinegar and soy sauce to taste. Garnish with boom boom sauce and wonton strips. 





No comments:

Post a Comment