Wednesday, March 9, 2022

Shanghai Salmon

My neighbor Midge posted this copycat recipe for Shanghai Salmon that I've had in my file for quite some time and finally got around to making it - you might remember that I don't love salmon, here's the couple ways we usually prepare it (salmon 2 ways) - so I'm happy to say that this recipe is a keeper! We both really liked it. I hesitated buying hoisin and mirin sauces, what if I didn't like the recipe and then I'd have to find other uses for the rest of the sauces hahaha - fortunately that won't be a problem now that we've tried this salmon. 


Here's the recipe Midge posted, I changed a couple things and will put my notes after the recipe. Midge also changed a couple things, so obviously you can play around with this one!

SHANGAI SALMON
  • 4 serving size salmon filets, skinless
  • 2 bags of fresh spinach
  • 1/2 cup soy sauce
  • 1 cup water
  • 1/2 cup mirin
  • 1 T. hoisin
  • 1 t. garlic puree
  • 1 green onion, sliced
  • 1/2 t. sesame oil
  • 3 T. canola or light oil
  • 1 T. sugar
  • 1/2 t. sesame seeds
  • salt and pepper
  • rice, cooked according to package directions)
Coat the salmon with oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper. Grill to medium or your preferred doneness. 

Meanwhile, saute the spinach in a pan with a little oil until wilted and the moisture is evaporated. Season with salt and pepper to taste. In a sauce pan, combine the soy sauce, water, mirin, hoisin, garlic puree, green onions, sesame oil, canola oil, sugar, and sesame seeds; bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer until the sauce slightly thickens. 

To serve: layer cooked rice, wilted spinach, and salmon in a bowl. Spoon sauce over the salmon. Garnish with additional green onion slices. Serves 4

Midge noted that she did not put oil on the salmon, she cooked it in the microwave, added fresh ginger slices to the sauce, and omitted the pepper. 

My changes: I cut the sauce ingredients in half since I was only making 2 servings, omitted the garlic puree and green onions, used toasted sesame oil and olive oil; I microwaved baby spinach without oil; and I baked a piece of salmon on a foil lined baking sheet until cooked thru (I don't like medium, it has to be cooked thru for me to eat it), then cut it into individual portions to serve. 

I've never bought mirin before - the only bottle I could find at my grocery store that was close says 'aji-mirin' by Kikkoman. I googled it and that seems like the right thing, other substitutes include rice wine vinegar, dry white wine, or sherry if you can't find mirin. 


3.9.21: TT shamrock plant

No comments:

Post a Comment