Saturday, March 26, 2022

Wilma's Chicken and Rice

I haven't done any new/old cookbook experimenting lately, I still love my old cookbooks tho and will definitely get back to trying out some more recipes. I did come across this recipe the other night when it was cold and raining outside and Dave didn't want to grill the chicken and I felt like trying something new. I spotted 'Wilma's chicken and rice'  and thought I'd give it a go. 

Since there's no pictures in the book, and I don't know any Wilma's to ask if this is her recipe and what I should expect hahaha, I just had to follow the recipe and cross my fingers. 


After I got it ready to go in the oven I strongly had my doubts that it was going to be good, there's so much 'sauce' that I couldn't picture what would happen after I baked it...


...but the sauce was mostly absorbed by the rice and ended up being just enough to coat the chicken. The flavor is good, and it's very easy to make so I would probably repeat this one - but my least favorite thing is how the entire dish is one color. Next time I think I'll add broccoli or chopped spinach or something to add some color and texture. I served it with a chopped green salad but I'd like veggies cooked along with the rice. 


Here's the recipe as written and I have a couple notes after:
  • 1 cup rice
  • 1 can mushroom soup
  • 1 can celery soup
  • 1 can onion soup
  • 1 can water or chicken broth
Mix the soups and water together. Place chicken parts over rice. Pour soup mixture over chicken. Bake at 325' for 2 hours or until done, cover while baking. 

Notes: I'm not positive what 'onion' soup is, probably french onion? I didn't have that so substituted golden mushroom which is a broth based canned soup. It doesn't say how much chicken, and 'chicken parts' and the long baking time lead me to assume she means bone-in; I had 2 large chicken breasts out for dinner so cut them in large pieces. Boneless chicken shouldn't take 2 hours but at the 1 hour mark the rice wasn't cooked yet - it took about 90 minutes. 

3.26.20: road trip day 4

3.26.19: the front tuck

3.26.18 and 3.26.16: Peep cupcakes

3.26.17: Al's west african peanut soup (oh gosh I love this soup so much!)


 


No comments:

Post a Comment