Friday, March 26, 2021

Distressed Dresser

Cathy did a very cool transformation of an old brown dresser and I love it so much that I'm looking around my house trying to find something I can distress! She sanded the top and painted it dark brown, but didn't sand the rest of the cabinet - she painted the base with chalked paint and it'll stick without sanding, I didn't know that. Since I'm not a sanding fan I'm looking forward to using this kind of paint! Her chalked base coat was too white so she went over it a bit with some creamy trim paint that she had on hand, let it dry and then hand sanded areas to get the distressed look. Her best advice is that if you don't like how the sanding looks, or if you remove too much, just add more paint and try again! 

Once she was happy with her distressing she wanted to give it more of a dirty/older look so she dipped her brush in the same dark brown she painted on the top, removed as much as she could with paper towels - so the brush was dry - then smudged the brush around different areas. There is still paint in the brush but not so much that it left brush brushstrokes so you can barely tell there's dark paint over the light. It's just enough to give the dresser the 'dirty' look she was going for. Isn't this a great transformation? I love it! Gotta go - I'm off to find furniture that needs to be painted...;) 

before...

after!



3.26.20: road trip day 4

3.26.19: the front tuck

3.26.18 and 3.26.16: Peep cupcakes

3.26.17: Al's west african peanut soup (oh gosh I love this soup so much!)


No comments:

Post a Comment