Friday, March 5, 2021

Green (pre-spring) Wreath

We aren't usually here this time of year so I have no decoration for our front door once the Valentine hearts come down - it feels too early for my usual springtime wreath (there's still some snow on the ground) and I don't want a wreath just for St. Patrick's Day, so I decided to make a wreath just using green and white leaves and flowers. For this project I think dollar store floral stems are just fine - true they aren't very good quality and the colors can be a trifle fake looking hahahha, but in this case I'm happy with the ones I picked. I did get one thing of orange flowers for a pop of color, but the overall look is still green and white. For Easter I might add some colored eggs or something - we'll see. For now tho I'm good for the rest of March.

For each wreath:

wire wreath form

artificial flowers and leaves

light floral wire (mine is on a spool and is 22 gauge)

wire cutters to cut the flowers apart (sharp scissors would probably work but might dull your scissors) and cut the wire from the spool

a hanger of some sort - pipe cleaner, yarn, twine, etc. 

Cut all the flowers off the bundle, most of mine had between 5 or 6 stems. One tip is to push the leaves up the stem to sit closer to the flower. Make bundles of a few flowers and leaves and tightly wire them together. For my wreaths I ended up needing 11 bundles each. Attach one end of the wire spool somewhere on the wreath form, lay down a flower bundle and wrap the wire across the bundle and around the wreath form a couple times. Continue adding bundles and wrapping them to the wreath until you get to the last bundle - turn that one the other way to finish (like if you were laying the bundles down on the wreath in a clockwise pattern turn the last one facing counter-clockwise - it helps fill in the last space better). 




You can add other decorations if you like - a big ribbon bow, or hot glue/wire birds or something. I stuck a big grass bush thing in on an angle which for right now I like, I might change my mind and remove it later - ya never know hahah. I didn't wire it in, just pushed it into the wreath form and it's holding just fine. 

without the shootie grass thing

hard to see with the reflection, I know...

If you're worried about the back of the wreath with the wire touching and harming your door, you can hot glue ribbon, fabric, felt, or cardboard over the back to protect the doors. I didn't do that, and if the wreath seems like it's moving around on the door too much I will put some of that museum/earthquake putty stuff underneath it to hold it in place. 

3.5.20: goldenrod update

3.5.19: TT: prep bowl

3.5.18: Tesha's crockpot potato soup






No comments:

Post a Comment