Sunday, March 5, 2017

Grilled Ahi with 2-Sauces



This is based on an old recipe from Roy Yamaguchi (of Roy's restaurants) that I've altered a little bit thru the years. The original recipe is called "Roy's Original Blackened Ahi" but since I've changed it I thought I better also rename it!



I'll give you his recipe and then tell you how I modify it:

Blackened Ahi:
  • 1 T. ground cumin
  • 1/2 t. paprika
  • 1 T. salt
  • 1 T. chili powder
  • 1/4 t. white pepper
  • 2 3oz. pieces of ahi
Mix dry ingredients well. Coat one side of tuna with the spices and pan sear to desired temperature. Slice into 1/4" thick pieces and arrange on plate. Ladle one side with Hot Soy Mustard Sauce and the other with Beurre Blanc.

Hot Soy Mustard Sauce:
  • 3/4 cup dry mustard
  • 3/4 cup rice vinegar
  • 1/4 cup soy sauce
Blend mustard with a little water until pasty. Add rice vinegar and soy sauce. Blend. Strain through a fine sieve to remove any lumps.

Beurre Blanc:
  • 1 cup white wine
  • 1 shallot, minced
  • 1/2 T. white wine vinegar
  • 1/4 cup heavy cream
  • white pepper and salt, to taste
  • 1/2 lb. butter, softened

Reduce wine and shallot until one tablespoon is left. Strain out shallots. Add vinegar, cream, salt and pepper. Reduce until thick; whip in butter. Whisk continuously until butter fully melts. Do not let boil.

beurre blanc on left, mustard soy on right 

Now my version:

-Cooking the fish: I rub a little olive oil on both sides and sprinkle with steak seasoning. Dave grills until well done because that's how I like it, he prefers way less done but is a good sport about cooking it thru for me.

-Hot Soy Mustard Sauce is really hot. I do not like really hot. So I use maybe a tablespoon of the dry mustard mixed with a little water, then add about 1/4 cup rice vinegar and 1/4 cup soy sauce. Not usually necessary to strain it. If still too hot then add more vinegar and soy sauce.

-Beurre Blanc: I usually cut the amounts in half and leave out the shallot. At the end I only add about 3-4 tablespoons of butter.


-To serve I make sticky rice and put down a big spoonful in the middle of the plate, shaping it into somewhat of a circle, then top with grilled ahi. Spoon mustard sauce on one half and the butter sauce on the other half of the plate around the rice, they'll meet in the middle. Top with wilted spinach or grilled asparagus if you want - that makes this a complete dish, don't need any other sides. This is SO GOOD!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment