Thursday, March 16, 2017

Tassel Earrings


Here is a very easy last minute idea to make a pair of earrings (well it's last minute if you have all of the supplies on hand, we'll talk about that in a minute....) - make 2 small tassels out of embroidery thread and attach them to earring hooks. This is super fast and pretty cute - I made green ones for St. Patrick's Day but think of the possibilities! Easy, cheap, quick jewelry for every holiday :)



For the earrings you will need:


  • 2 6-foot pieces of emerald green embroidery thread 
  • 4 pieces of thread in a complimentary color (I used a silvery metallic). 2 6-inch pieces and 2 12-inch pieces.
  • A credit card
  • 2 earring hooks

1. Take your 6-inch piece of thread and make a knot that keeps a small loop. Set aside.







2. Then wrap your emerald thread around the card as shown.
3. Feed the 6-inch piece of thread under the wrapped thread and tie a double knot. Then slide the green thread off the card.
4. Snip the ends of the thread you just knotted, keeping the small loop at the very top.
5. Now take your 12-inch piece of thread and wrap it around the top of the tassel. Make a knot and snip the ends.
6. Now take your scissors and cut the ends of the tassel. Snip a bit more to even the length.
7. Attach the earring hook to the small loop at the top. You may need to open and close it with your fingers or round nose pliers.
8. Repeat for the second earring. 







Normally I wouldn't post a unfinished project (!) but I wanted you to be able to make these for St. Patrick's Day if you don't have anything green to wear! I thought I had earring hooks and I don't - so for now I have 2 pretty green tassels but no way to wear them. I will fix that tomorrow with a quick run to the craft store. The other problem with this post is that I used embroidery thread that I had wound on a card (I keep all of my threads on those little cards and filed in a box - know what I mean? If not I will show you!) so the thread has kinks. Not a problem when you are doing embroidery but it is a little problem when making anything else! I am working on a quick solution to get them straightened out, assuming if I get them damp and flatten out with my hand or something heavy it'll be fine. How cute and easy! Just make sure you have all of the materials on hand before you start if you actually want to wear these haha!





Click here to see where I found these directions and more pictures if you want them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment