Sunday, March 19, 2017

Zucchini & Quinoa Cakes

I got this recipe from my niece, who got it from her friend who is vegan and went to culinary school. I'm not vegan so I adapted this slightly (used eggs and chicken broth). She sent the recipe via text and there are few amounts given so just wing it on the spices and breadcrumbs. I served them with grilled chicken and a simple salad of halved cherry tomatoes and chopped avocado drizzled with a tiny bit of olive oil. I'm also not sure what size the patties are meant to be so I made a few large ones and some smaller ones - Dave liked them small, I liked them both. They were a bit dry for me (but I'm a sauce person) so I put a bit of sour cream on top, D liked them plain. It made quite a few patties - I ate them for breakfast and lunch the next couple of days but my niece says you can put them in the freezer if you want to eat at a later date. I will definitely make these again!

Cook 1 cup quinoa in 2 cups veggie broth (or chicken broth, or water) according to package directions.

Shred 3 medium zucchini and squeeze out excess water.

Saute one onion and 1/2 head garlic with some red pepper flakes.

Toss everything together with 2 eggs (or use "flax" eggs if you want this vegan), salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, parsley and then add enough bread crumbs to be able to form the mixture into patties. Bake at 375' for 15 minutes, flip and bake another ten until browned on both sides.


No comments:

Post a Comment