Sunday, March 12, 2017

Blueberry Chutney

When I decided to make blueberry jam (instead of Cassie's grandma's strawberry, click here for that post) I had SO many blueberries that I wanted to try making something else with them in addition to jam. Did a little research and found this recipe for blueberry chutney - had all the ingredients so thought 'why not'? I've never had blueberry chutney, I have a great recipe for tomato chutney though that I'll make and share with you at some point (!), so this was totally an experiment that I'm pleased to say turned out very tasty and easy to make. It's a little runny but the flavor is great - we had it with grilled pork tenderloin and those yummy zucchini tots (click here for that recipe, so good!).












1 c blueberries
1-2 cloves garlic
1/2″ knob fresh ginger root
2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes (optional)
1/2 Tbsp olive oil or cooking fat of choice
Prep + Cook:
Rinse blueberries. Mince 1-2 cloves garlic (enough for 1 Tbsp). Peel ginger root and grate or mince (enough for 1/2 – 1 Tbsp, depending on how much you like ginger).
Heat a pan to medium heat with 1/2 Tbsp oil. Sauté ginger, garlic, and 1/4 tsp pepper flakes (optional) 2 min until ginger softens and garlic lightly browns.
Add 1 cup blueberries and 2 Tbsp balsamic to pan. Cook 3-5 min until balsamic reduces down some and blueberries burst, stirring and gently smashing blueberries.
Serve warm on top of meat, or refrigerate to serve cold with cheese, etc.

I found this recipe at kitchen1204.com. I doubled the recipe and canned 5 small jars for later use.

No comments:

Post a Comment