Tuesday, March 30, 2021

Tip-sy Tuesday: deviled eggs

Janis texted me this morning that she was thinking about my deviled eggs hahah. That got me to thinking that I should put them on my menu for Easter dinner. We all love deviled eggs! I posted 3 different times in 2016 regarding deviled eggs and thought I'd share the posts again, along with a tip for transporting them - just in time for Easter (or whenever!). 

First up is how my sis makes her deviled eggs - in her words (and they are terrific!):

Hi- me again. 
Well I don’t cook much but I do like to party.  When my sister is gone I am forced to make my own dish to pass.  I hate that (and the friends I am bringing my dish to hate that also).   That said, one of the things I can make and that taste pretty decent is deviled eggs.  It’s a fairly standard deviled egg recipe what makes them better (and gets me compliments) I’m pretty sure is the “secret” ingredient of spicy mustard.

I add light miracle whip (might as well save the fat where I can) until it looks creamy, a few squeezes of regular mustard until bright yellow (I like mine mustardy) then a few squeezes of the spicy mustard depending how tangy you like it.  like I said, everywhere I take them people rave that they are delish.  Hey I’m no Jill but I gotta do what I can.

 


Next up is how to make deviled egg chicks:

Make traditional deviled eggs (I make mine by mixing the yolks with mayo, yellow mustard and a dash of brown mustard, salt and white pepper in a food processor until smooth and creamy). To make the chicks: cut the narrow top off the egg (instead of splitting them lengthwise down the middle) and scoop out yolk. Fill with deviled egg filling mounding it up a bit on the bottom part - that's where the eyes and beak will go. Replace the top of the egg that you cut off, add pieces of black olive or black peppercorns for eyes and little bits of carrot for the beak. To keep them standing upright I put a dab of filling under each one to help stabilize it.


Third post is how to get perfectly peeled boiled eggs:

I have been making hard boiled eggs for years the same way (put the eggs in a pan, fill with water, bring to a boil for 5 minutes, turn off heat and cover, let rest in hot water for 20 minutes) and they are foolproof, perfectly done everytime. But if the eggs are too fresh then it's always a crap shoot if I could peel them easily (did you know that fresh eggs are the culprit behind difficult-to-peel hard boiled eggs? Yep!) and if I wanted pretty deviled eggs then it was such a pain hoping to get enough nice ones.  I'm making deviled eggs to take to a friends house and of course bought brand new eggs this morning...and then I saw this method with the claim that even fresh eggs will peel perfectly...well of course I'm going to try it!


Bring a pot of water to a boil and then carefully lower the eggs into the pan. Let them boil in a gentle simmer for 15 minutes. Drain; then put the hot eggs into a bowl of ice water and let cool for 5-10 minutes. And sure enough, every one of the eggs peeled super easy - I'm shocked. A couple have a sort of dent on the side (I put them on the top in this picture), not sure what that's about, but when I halve the eggs I'll just make sure to put the dented side on the bottom.

And lastly - a transporting tip for Tip-sy Tuesday: if you don't have an egg carrier (I made and take them so often I have a Tupperware container specifically for transporting deviled eggs!), I've also used an empty styrofoam or plastic egg carton which works pretty good; my favorite way tho is to put them in a mini muffin tin, stick a couple toothpicks in them and loosely cover with plastic wrap. They won't tip since they're being held in the muffin tin and the toothpicks keep the wrap from touching the eggs and messing them up. I don't have a picture of them in a muffin tin, but here's how to cover with plastic wrap: 


3.30.20: April plan

No comments:

Post a Comment