Thursday, September 7, 2023

Insect Repellent Sachets

My camping neighbor/friend gave me this idea and since we have SO many spiders and bugs this year I immediately made a few sachets to help keep them out of the RV. Very easy to make, and since I had the ingredients on hand it's also a quick project. I have a doTERRA repellent blend called TerraShield that has a mix of sesame, citronella, lemongrass, thyme, cedar wood, geranium and peppermint that I used but after having the bags hanging for a few minutes I gave myself an asthma attack! I've used a drop or two of the bug blend on my skin with no issues but I guess the bags were just more than my lungs could handle. I'll be remaking these sachets using simpler ingredients that I know I won't have issues with. 

You'll need:

  • uncooked rice
  • essential oils
  • small organza drawstring bags
Mix rice with a few drops of essential oils, spoon into the organza bags, cinch the top and hang around areas where bugs are prone to come in (windows, doors) and/or in your closets. I'm not setting them on any surface that might be damaged by the oils. 

I wrote the above post after making my bags, but then Jenn sent me much better directions and info and I told her I was posting her version instead haha: 

15 drops of oils for every one cup of rice
Mix rice and oil in large bowl
Let sit about 15 - 30 minutes to soak up oil
Then fill your bags with about 3/4 cup rice

Suggested oils (just ideas, more bug repellent ideas online-but these smell good and are known to repel bugs)
Lemon
Eucalyptus 
Rosemary
Peppermint
Orange
Lavender (closets and drawers)
Tea tree (smaller amounts-not near clothes)
Citronella (smaller amounts-not near clothes)

Combo ideas
Lemon, Orange, Peppermint
Orange, Eucalyptus 
Lavender, Peppermint
Lavender, Rosemary

Use the Tea tree or Citronella to “refresh” the bags with 4-6 drops every 3-4 weeks in main areas

Use peppermint to “refresh” the bags with 4-6 drops every 3-4 weeks in clothing areas such as drawers and closets









No comments:

Post a Comment