Monday, September 11, 2023

Make a Hem Guide

When making the bobble stitch and flannel blanket for Georgie I wanted to turn the flannel edges under before sewing it to the crocheted front, so made myself an easy 1/2" hem guide to make the hem even all the way around. They sell metal adjustable sliding hem guides but this was a spur-of-the-moment need and I figured I'd just make one quickly. 

For my project I figured turning under 1/2" would be enough, you can change the size of your guide accordingly if you want a deeper hem. I cut a 1/2" strip out of stiff cardboard, set it at the edge of the fabric and folded the edge over so it just covered the cardboard guide, ironed in place making a crisp fold line. Using the guide means the hem will be more consistent than how I usually do it...measure with a ruler and pin, measure a couple more inches and pin, repeat. This was much faster and neater!

 Here - these pics should explain it better than my words, 'cuz goodness knows I'm not always clear haha:





9.11.22: ðŸ”¥ week 37


No comments:

Post a Comment