Thursday, September 28, 2023

Shag Cake

Yesterday I showed you the mermaid scale cake I made for L's birthday and mentioned that I had a leftover layer. Well I also had quite a bit of frosting left as well and I remembered seeing a 'shag cake' somewhere and thought I'd practice the technique with the extra cake and frosting.

Fit the decorator bag with a grass tip and fill with your choice of colored frosting - squeeze the bag and pipe out the 'grass' frosting in different areas on the top of the cake. 




Change colors and add more areas, repeat with different colors until it's all filled in. It reminds me of making a camouflage pattern - irregular areas of frosting touching each other totally filling in the top of the cake. 

the grid marks are from my cooling rack

This was the first time I've done this so it isn't as good as I'd like - next time I'll lightly frost the cake with one of the colors before piping on the grass, I can see bits of cake thru the grass. With some more practice I'm really going to like this design - so fun!





No comments:

Post a Comment