Wednesday, September 13, 2023

Sweet Potato Breakfast Hash

I don't love traditional breakfast foods and usually eat leftovers, sometimes a salad of arugula tossed with a little olive oil and a poached egg, or bread with cheese if I'm desperate hahaha. I was thinking this morning that I should find some actual breakfast ideas to have on hand (actually my thought was that I should eat more like a grown-up LOL), so I asked Mr. Google for some suggestions for healthy cereal or whatever and came across a recipe at Healthline for Sweet Potato Breakfast Hash and even tho it isn't traditional cereal I loved the idea and immediately made it. They suggest serving it with a fried egg and avocado slices, for today I just ate the hash alone - and it's great! I did not follow their exact recipe using hot paprika and garlic powder, and I didn't bake it as they directed (425' for 20 minutes, 500' for another 20) but my version turned out great so I'm sharing my way; click here to see the original video recipe. 

  • 1 sweet potato, peeled and cut into small cubes (you can leave the skins on if you like)
  • chopped sweet potatoes, cut into similar size of the potato cubes
  • 1 can garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
  • coarse salt and pepper
Preheat the oven to 400'. Toss the sweet potato with a little olive oil and spread out on a parchment lined baking sheet. Bake for 10 minutes. Add the chopped peppers and garbanzo beans, drizzle with a little more oil, season with salt and pepper to taste. Bake for 20 - 25 minutes, stirring once, continue to bake until the peppers and potatoes are done to your liking. I'm not sure the potatoes needed the 10 minute head start, next time I'll cook everything together from the get-go.




This makes quite a bit, tomorrow I'll have it again with an egg on top and update with another picture. I'm also going to try it with a drizzle of reduced balsamic vinegar because I know it's amazing on the roasted peppers so I bet it'll be good with the sweet potatoes and garbanzo beans!







No comments:

Post a Comment