Saturday, January 16, 2016

Fresh Whiskey Sours

I have always liked sweet-tart flavors and this is no exception - a whiskey sour hits just the right balance of a little sweet and a little tart for me.  I've never made one myself though so when I saw this recipe from Barefoot Contessa I decided I'd give it a whirl.


Very easy recipe:

3/4 cup whiskey
1/2 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (3 lemons)
1/2 cup freshly squeezed lime juice (4 limes)
2/3 cup sugar syrup (see below)
maraschino cherries for garnish

Combine the whiskey, lemon juice, lime juice and syrup. Fill a cocktail shaker halfway with ice and fill two-thirds full with the cocktail mixture. Shake for 30 seconds and pour into glasses. Add a maraschino cherry and serve ice cold.

Sugar syrup:
put 1 cup sugar and 1 cup water in a small saucepan and cook over medium heat until the sugar dissolves. Chill before using.

Note: I used bottled lemon and lime juices and it still tastes great :)

*
I googled "how to make a virgin whiskey sour" expecting the computer to laugh at me, but on Kraft's website they suggest replacing the whiskey with apple juice. I didn't test that but at least it's an option if you want to try this without alcohol.

No comments:

Post a Comment