Thursday, January 14, 2016

Make a Fringe Necklace

This has been in my idea folder since 2011 and I finally got around to making one. Wasn't hard to make at all, and it turned out really cute - I'm going to wear this a lot!

The directions weren't exactly right, they said to sew 6" fringe to 8" of chain and then slip over your head. Simple, right? Except I don't have a very large head and there's no way a 14" necklace that isn't stretchy is going to fit over my head! I measured and the necklace would need to be more like 22" for that to happen. I modified the original directions a bit to make it work for me. If you have a 14" head then the original directions will be fine for you :)

1. I used a 14" length of chain, pull about an inch of fringe thru one end of chain.
2. fold the fringe back on itself and sew in place.
3. repeat on the other side of the chain.
fringe comes with string on the bottom to keep it together,
 just pull the strings off to release the bottom of the fringe. 
4. I then took out the middle link from chain so there is about 6.5" on each side.
5. using about 20" of thin black ribbon put it thru both ends of the chain, put the necklace over your  head and then tie the ribbon closed (I'll double knot it to make sure it stays on). 





here it is under a blouse...
and over a t-shirt. Play with it to see how you like it!




















This idea came from InStyle Magazine, Feb. 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment