Thursday, January 21, 2016

Idea for Painting a Side Table

When my bestie Mary moved away (insert sad frownie face here) she left me a few things (mostly so she didn't have to pack them I think, not for sentimental reasons!) and one piece that has been in my garage for a while now is this cute side table. I think the bottom part is for holding magazines?
Well she painted it years ago (my clue to when she did this is the fact that it is a country squares pattern in brown and blue - doesn't it seem like it was done years ago haha?), and while the bottom part is cute with its distressed painting, the top with the checkerboard had to go. Nope, I didn't ask permission to paint over this so hopefully it wasn't some treasured family heirloom that I was supposed to keep in its original 80's country chic style...

I just put a little paint on a paper plate and
rolled a small 4" foam roller in it. 
I'm reminding myself again that I'm a little bit like my Grandma who made beautiful things for us kids but they were always weird colors - I realize now that just like me, she got the itch to make something but didn't want to go to the store so just used whatever she had on hand! I don't have very much paint and most of it doesn't match the bottom of this table, so I used the creamy color that is leftover interior trim paint for the house. I didn't sand the top or anything, just wiped it down and rolled 3 coats of paint over top of the checkerboard pattern.

Technically not how you are supposed to do it but it looks just fine to me and if it doesn't hold up forever, who cares. I'll repaint it again. This took just a couple of minutes to paint on each coat, I set up a fan to dry it before painting another coat.




Looking at Sarge I'm thinking crafting is either exhausting or super boring for him...the top picture he is facing away and the bottom picture he has tipped over asleep on his side. Rough life.

No comments:

Post a Comment