Saturday, February 13, 2021

Valentine Bubble Tree

Yes -  I realize this is a very, very last minute Valentine craft but if I don't show you now there is no way I'll remember to post it a year from now!! So you're getting it the day before V-day and can reference it for next year (or for an anniversary, or Christmas, or just 'cuz?) or maybe you're bored today and see this and want to make it now! Either way - here it is:

This idea came about because my sis and I were shopping at Target before Christmas and she saw a pompom Christmas tree decoration and asked if I'd make it for her - I said sure, if she buys the pompoms because there is no way I'm making as many as it'd take to fill in a tree. Guess what? No pompoms appeared at my door and she did not get a tree. So when shopping at Hobby Lobby the other day and I saw a bag of red and white balls (titled 'scatters and fillers' - but they look like bubbles to me so that's what I'm calling them) I thought I'd try a Valentine tree - if it turned out and she likes it then I'll give, otherwise whatever, I've now got myself a Valentine tree hahaha. 

I did not go with the Elmers, but here's what the cone, topper, and bag 
of filler look like...before I switched to hot glue!


In addition to the balls and cone, I also bought a wire pick with a rustic metal heart for the tree topper. It's a little big for the scale of the tree but I like how that looks. These are maybe foam balls coated in glitter, or some other slightly squishy lightweight balls; my original plan was to elmers glue the balls to a paper mache form but that wasn't very good thinking on my part - the glue isn't going to dry fast enough to apply a hundred balls...so I switched to hot glue. I still had to hold each one in place for a few seconds but it was way faster than regular glue would be. After gluing one layer all around the tree I added a second layer to cover up some of the holes - it isn't completely filled in but short of buying another bag of balls (the day before V-day) it'll do. Maybe I'll pick up another bag after the holiday when it goes on super sale and fill in more later. Or maybe not. 


This actually turned out pretty cute - I could add a bow under the heart with long tails hanging down, but since I never know when enough is enough I think I'll see what my sis thinks and if she wants a bow I'll make one. If she doesn't want the tree I'll leave it bow-less, pack it away, and think about it next year when I pull it out to display! 

2.13.20: hot dog heart

2.13.19: asian style meatballs with sweet chili sauce

2.13.18: shrimp cocktail in a wine glass

2.13.17: heart suncatcher

2.13.16: wine label for Valentine's day gifts

No comments:

Post a Comment