Wednesday, February 3, 2021

Valentine Layered Cookies

I wanted to make 2 layer cookies that have a window in the top cookie showing jam thru the cut out opening (I saw some in a catalog and knew I could replicate them). So I googled for a good cookie dough recipe - something like a sugar cookie or shortbread, a firm cookie that stays flat when baking. Came across a recipe that sounded good, had a few good reviews, and seemed right. 

Yeah, so here's something I should already know - you can't trust a recipe just because it's on the internet. And you can't trust reviews! 

I've never made a cookie dough that would not hold together, whether from the fridge or room temp it just wouldn't work. I got the room temp dough to stick enough to roll out a few cookies by wetting my hands and really pressing the dough down but they are very cobbled together cookies, the dough that I chilled became like a ball of concrete that I couldn't roll out - I couldn't even stick a finger into it no matter how hard I pressed! Crazy - I ended up throwing that dough away. 

Needless to say I'm not even bothering to share the recipe - but the cookies that I was able to make turned out so pretty that I'm sharing the idea. Use a sugar cookie or shortbread recipe that you know you like, or I'd even try a store-bought tube of dough and roll it pretty thin - you need 2 cookies to make 1 complete cookie so you'll want them to be thin since they'll be stacked on top of each other.

The idea is very easy actually - roll out the dough to about 1/8" thickness, cut out circles (mine are 2 1/2" diameter). Using a small heart-shaped cookie cutter, cut out a heart from one-half of the circles. Bake until just slightly golden brown (don't over bake, you want the cookies to stay fairly white for presentation). Cool on a wire rack.

Once cool, spoon less than a teaspoon of jam in the middle of one of the solid circles, don't spread too close to the edge or it'll squish out. Top with a cookie that has the heart cut out of it, showing the jam from the bottom cookie. Sprinkle with powdered sugar. 






I baked the small heart cut-outs along side of the larger circles, filled them with a little jam and sprinkled with powdered sugar - a one bite delish cookie! Note: I used my homemade black and blue jam for the darker colored ones but it's a little chunky so the two cookies have a little gap between them, I also did some with good old Smuckers and then they weren't quite as thick - either way totally works! 


2.3.20: doctored up brownies

2.3.19: 🔥week 5

2.3.18: football toss game

2.3.17: root beer bbq pulled pork

2.3.16: cookie bites

No comments:

Post a Comment