Wednesday, November 30, 2022

Driveway Apple Crisp

Let's see - can anyone guess why I've named this 'driveway apple crisp'? 

So we've lived in this house for a number of years, I'd have to stop and count how many but let's go with 20 for the sake of the story. Our neighbors have an apple tree that overhangs our driveway and drops apples, which Dave then runs over or throws back into their yard (side note: we haven't gotten along with these neighbors until recently and I think D secretly enjoyed whipping the apples back into their yard haha). I can honestly say it never occurred to me that the messy apples laying all over our driveway are probably edible to humans (I've watched the squirrels eat them) until Mark grabbed one and ate it! Then I was all 'waaaaait a minute, we have tons of apples - and I've never used them?"

They are very tart, and not pretty - but I just cut around the ugly bits and made an apple crisp for our maiden driveway apple experiment, and it turned out great! I didn't follow a particular recipe, crisp is one of those things that you can wing the amounts. Peel and chop apples, toss with cinnamon and sugar. Put into a greased baking dish and top with a crumbly mixture of oats, flour, brown sugar, butter, cinnamon, and a pinch of salt. Bake until the apples are done and the crisp is crispy. Super easy. 

Funny story - a few days after Mark ate the first apple Brooke called me and said something like 'you know that apple tree in your driveway...?'  I thought she was saying the tree fell over and I was bummed that I wasn't gonna be eating free driveway apples any more but she was asking if she could eat the apples! She's 19 and has seen this tree for 19 years and has never noticed there are apples until now. Weird, right? 


Here's a recipe from Betty Crocker that's pretty straightforward if you want an actual recipe haha:

4 cups apple chunks
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup oats
1/3 cup butter
3/4 t. cinnamon
3/4 t. nutmeg

Bake at 375' for 30 minutes. 

11.30.21: tip-sy tuesday: cutting board for rolling cookies

No comments:

Post a Comment