Friday, November 18, 2022

Grandma Jan’s Barbeque (Sloppy Joes)

I volunteered to bring sloppy joes to a get together at my sis’s thinking I’d make my favorite recipe (click here for that post) but she said that if I didn’t make them following Grandma Jan’s recipe then Jeff would be super bummed. Well we all know I’m a pleaser so of course I’d make her recipe (plus selfishly I knew I’d be able to blog another recipe for sloppy joes hahah!). Her recipe card actually calls this “barbeque” but has sloppy joes in parenthesis - I’ve never heard sloppy joes called bbq so do what you want with that info haha.

Here’s her recipe as written:

  • 1 lb. ground beef round
  • 2 large onions, diced
  • 1/2 cup catsup
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 2 T. Worcestershire sauce 
  • 2 T. cider vinegar
  • 1 T. sugar
Brown meat in frying pan until no longer pink. Drain off grease. Put a paper towel on a plate and add hamburger, paper towel will soak up the rest of the grease. Put hamburger back in the pan, add the diced onion and the remaining ingredients.

Freezes well, make a double recipe and put in freezer for another meal.

So I didn’t exactly follow this recipe (don’t tell Jeff!); I made 4 pounds of burger and cooked the onions in with the meat - I only used 1 large onion and diced it very small, I just drained it really good without putting it on a plate, sprinkled with coarse salt. After removing meat from the skillet I added the sauce ingredients and heated it over low just to melt everything together and then put the meat back in the sauce and stirred until well-combined. I put the mixture in a crockpot on warm for the party. It’s very good! 

I forgot to take a picture, it looks like sloppy joes! 





No comments:

Post a Comment