Thursday, November 17, 2022

Italian Sausage Pasta

Here’s another recipe that I loosely followed from one of my sis’s Home Chef recipe cards - I wouldn’t have thought to bake the casserole without browning the sausage first, they say to just crumble it on top of the pasta and bake - who knew?! Dave and I really liked this, read below for Jen’s review. Here’s what I did to make this almost copycat version:


  • 4 oz light cream cheese
  • 1/4 cup seasoned croutons, crushed
  • 1/4 cup herb butter (I mixed a teaspoon of Italian seasoning into softened butter)
  • 4 oz baby spinach
  • 8 oz cooked pasta (recipe called for fettuccini but I used curly cavatappi pasta)
  • 8 oz marinara sauce
  • 8 oz Italian sausage, removed from the casing if using links
Preheat oven to 425’. Place spinach in a baking dish, top with cubes of cream cheese. Add the cooked pasta and marinara sauce. Crumble the sausage into small pieces and place evenly on the marinara. 

Bake uncovered until sausage reaches a minimum internal temperature of 160’, 20-25 minutes. Remove from oven and stir in the butter until combined. Garnish with crushed croutons.

before baking, with the raw sausage on top

herb butter

You can also try this with sliced flank steak (cook to at least 145’, 15-20 minutes), ground beef (20-22 minutes) or ground turkey (20-25 minutes or until no pink remains).

Before I show you her review here’s a funny story - while making this I had a feeling it wasn’t going to be spicy enough for them so I liberally sprinkled the dish with chili pepper and red pepper flakes, hoping I didn’t add too much! Here’s her review:


So I’m always afraid to give a negative review – for fear my sister will stop cooking for me.  This one isn’t really “negative” but its not glowing. (like the buffalo chicken one was- go look that one up). Anyway- back to the topic. So this pasta was “ok”.  To be honest and fair my sister did ask if I wanted spicy sausage or regular.  I said regular was fine but that might have been the problem?  It was just kinda ok.  nothing special.  The flavor was ok, just a little blah for me.  She did give me a big blob of flavored butter I had to stir in after cooking-so that automatically combined with the sausage made me feel a little nauseous and like I needed to go for a run- but yet the butter wasn’t enough to give it great flavor.  After trying as is I added red pepper chili flakes which did make it better. 

So, hopefully my honest review doesn’t make my sister not cook for me again.  My advice is to make this – but choose the spicy sausage when you do!


11.17.21: chocolate zucchini brownies 

11.17.20: TT: cast iron pan info

No comments:

Post a Comment