Wednesday, November 9, 2022

Skillet Toasted Squash Seeds

Two things:

1) did you know you can roast seeds other than pumpkin? Yes you can! We had an acorn squash the other night for dinner and as I was cutting it I thought how much the squash seeds look just like pumpkin seeds - I googled just to make sure and yep, you can eat other squash seeds like acorn and butternut. 

2) I’ve toasted pine nuts and garbanzo beans in a skillet vs. roasting in the oven so I figured I’d try toasting the acorn seeds. And it worked great - fast and the clean up was really easy.

Use whatever recipe you like when roasting the seeds in the oven - there’s lots of versions. For these I melted a butter/olive oil in a skillet, added the seeds and sprinkled with seasoned salt, cook over medium heat until the seeds are toasted and crunchy. You can sprinkle on more seasoning if you want, I finished with a pinch of coarse salt. Remove to cool. 

Note: start with very dry seeds; I cleaned off all the pulp and rinsed them well, then spread out on parchment paper over night to dry. If you dry them on a paper towel they’ll stick, just warning you - ask me how I know haha. 

11.9.21: airplane water bottle

11.9.20: troll costume

11.9.19: yogurt sauce for salmon

11.9.18: green tomato jam

11.9.17: baked risotto balls

11.9.15: magazine page bows


No comments:

Post a Comment