Friday, November 4, 2022

Simple Shortcake

I haven’t made this yet but I’m going to this weekend so I’m sharing it early - I’ll update with a picture after I make it. It’s a Joanna Gaines recipe so I know it’s going to be good - and I really like the technique of baking it in a pan instead of individual shortcakes, that much quicker to make! I will probably sprinkle the top with coarse raw sugar before baking, I usually do when making shortcakes. 
  • 1 1/3 cups flour
  •  2/3 cup sugar
  • 2 t. Baking powder
  • 2/3 cup milk
  • 1/4 cup butter, softened
  • 1 egg
  • 1 t vanilla
  • 3 cups assorted fresh berries
  • Whipped cream
1. Preheat oven to 350’ Grease and lightly flour an 8” square or round cake pan.

2. In a medium bowl combine flour, sugar, and baking powder. Add milk, butter, egg, and vanilla. Beat with a mixer on low until combined. Beat on medium 1 minute. Spread batter in prepared pan. 

3. Bake about 30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool cake in pan on wire rack 10 minutes. Loosen sides of cake; invert onto plate. Cool 30 minutes more. Cut into squares or wedges; split pieces in half crosswise. Serve with berries and whipped cream.


Update 11/5 - I made the shortcake and it turned out great! I love making one big one instead of individuals, I followed the recipe other than sprinkling with coarse raw sugar before baking (same thing I do when I make individual shortcakes). Very moist and stayed fresh for a few days in the fridge. 


From The Magnolia Journal, spring 2018

11.4.21: Indian corn

No comments:

Post a Comment