Friday, February 9, 2024

Crock Pot White Chicken Chili (v. #3)

Looking for different ideas for what to have for our Super Bowl get-together, I've done pulled pork so many times (which we love) and I feel like making something else. It's been chilly and windy (after SO MUCH RAIN) so I've been looking for a soup/stew/chili recipe instead this time...and the winner is white chicken chili. I've got a couple recipes to make it in the crock pot, and here is yet another one that looks good - it seems that all of the variations are pretty similar with minor changes. I'm trying this one for Super Bowl Sunday, with a couple changes. Here's the recipe and I'll add my notes after.  

  • 2 1/2 c. 

    low-sodium chicken broth

  • 2 

    (15.5-oz.) cans white beans, drained and rinsed

  • 1 1/2 lb. 

    boneless skinless chicken breasts 

  • 2 

    (4-oz.) cans green chiles

  • 1 

    small yellow onion, finely chopped

  • 2 

    cloves garlic, minced

  • 1 

    jalapeƱo, seeded and minced, plus more for serving

  • 1 tsp. 

    dried oregano

  • 1 tsp. 

    ground cumin

  • salt and pepper 
  • 1 1/2 c. 

    frozen corn

For Serving (optional):

  • Sour cream
  • Sliced avocado
  • Thinly sliced jalapeƱo
  • Freshly chopped cilantro
  • Lime wedges
  1. 1. Add broth, beans, chicken, green chiles, onion, garlic, jalapeƱo, oregano, and cumin to the bowl of your slow cooker. Season with salt and pepper and cook on high for 2 to 3 hours, until chicken is tender.
  2. 2. Remove chicken from chili and shred. Use a potato masher to gently mash about 1/3 of the beans before returning chicken to slow cooker. Stir in shredded chicken and corn and cover and season with more salt and pepper if needed. Turn slow cooker on warm until ready to serve.
  3. 3. To serve, top with sour cream, avocado, jalapeƱo, cilantro, and a squeeze of lime juice.
makes 6 servings 


My notes: this is a pretty straightforward recipe and I'm sure is good - I like a couple things from the other recipes I've tried so this will be more of a mash-up version of them all haha. 
  • increase the amount of chicken to 2 lbs. 
  • adding another cup or so of chicken broth (3 1/2 - 4 cups)
  • add an extra 1/2 cup frozen corn
  • I'm omitting the fresh jalapeƱo from the chili, will serve on the side as a topping.
  • will sautĆ© the onions and garlic before adding to the crockpot. 
  • adding 1/2 t. paprika, 1/2 t. dried coriander 
  • cooking on LOW for 7 hours before shredding the chicken 
  • add 1 block (8 oz.) cream cheese, cut into smaller pieces, cook until it melts and you can completely incorporate it into the chili. 
  • add 1 T. lime juice.
Other similar recipes on the blog ~
In addition to the chicken chili I'm making mini pigs in a blanket, deviled eggs, and touchdown brownies. Others are bringing shrimp cocktail, cheese tray, chips and dip, and a veggie tray. YUM! I'm excited haha. 

2/12/24 update: I made this chili as stated above with all my notes and it turned out fantastic. Everyone loved it. Of course I got busy tho and forgot to take a picture! Next time...


No comments:

Post a Comment