Monday, March 11, 2019

DIY: Carpet Freshener

I'm super excited about this post - not just because this carpet freshener is so so easy to make, and that it actually works, but mostly because I just learned a very cool trick that I did not know and doubted it would work when I first saw it...I mean, how could I not know this already?


I checked out a few sites online to see if other people making carpet freshener had any different ingredients they add (in addition to how I was going to make mine) and stumbled on this little trick - did you know that the plastic top of a parmesan bottle fits on Mason jars? What? I'm kicking myself for all the tops I've thrown out thru the years, how many shaker lid Mason jars I could be using right now!

Ok, so for the freshener: simply fill a jar halfway with baking soda, add a few drops of essential oils (I used tangerine and lime), stir together. Add more baking soda to the top and a few more drops of essential oils, stir again. Screw on a shaker lid and you're done. Sprinkle the mixture on your carpet, let stand for a few minutes and then vacuum up. It comes up very easily, and there's an added bonus that the inside of my vacuum canister also smells good now!



If you don't have a parmesan shaker top laying around, you can make one (like I originally planned to use before the shaker top aha moment I just had) by cutting a circle to fit the top of your jar and punching a few holes in it before adding a canning ring to hold the paper in place.


not sure why I'm adding this picture - you can barely see the
baking soda sprinkled on my carpet...but trust me, it's there!

No comments:

Post a Comment