Saturday, March 23, 2019

Herb-Crusted Buttermilk Baked Chicken

I don't have an actual "recipe" for this, I just winged it (hmmm - it's chicken and I winged it...) and it turned out so good and easy I thought I'd share. Perfect for a quick weeknight meal, if you plan ahead more than I did you could soak the chicken in the buttermilk anywhere from 30 minutes to a few hours and that would make the chicken even moister - but even without marinading it turned out moist, crunchy, and flavorful. Almost like having fried chicken without all the extra calories. 

                     marinating and dipping chicken in buttermilk before covering with panko crumbs and baking makes for juicy flavorful tender chicken.

Simple: all I did was dip boneless chicken breasts in buttermilk seasoned with coarse pepper and a little tabasco sauce, then dredged in panko breadcrumbs mixed with grated parmesan and thyme. 

Line a baking sheet with foil to catch any drippings, then put a browning pan (or any pan that has holes in it, I used the one that came with my toaster oven) on the baking sheet and spray with non-stick cooking spray; lay the chicken breasts on the top pan. My thought is the second tray with the holes helped the crumbs not get quite as mushy as laying them straight down on the foil. It'll work just fine tho if you don't do the second pan thing! 

Bake at 400' until the chicken is cooked thru and the crumbs are browned and crispy. The bake time will change depending on how thick your chicken is, if you have a meat thermometer you want the chicken cooked thru to 165'. 



note: this would (obviously) cook faster and more evenly if I'da pounded the breasts to flatten them out...but I didn't. And it was all good!


3.23.18: perler bead Easter eggs
3.23.17: a laugh
3.23.16: Easter side dishes - pineapple stuffing, creamed new potatoes, roasted carrots


Happy moment ~ finished a time consuming task, feels so good!

No comments:

Post a Comment