Wednesday, March 27, 2019

Pickle Cupcakes

Pickle...whaaaah? Cupcakes! Yes, I said pickle cupcakes. Cassandra sent me the recipe and of course my first thought was "well that's disgusting" but the recipe got really good reviews, only makes 12, and I had all the ingredients on hand so I made them...and they are most definitely not disgusting!


I asked everyone to guess what flavor they were tasting and no one got it - there were lots of people thinking some kind of fruit, or coconut, someone said aloe vera...after I said pickle it was decided that  you could actually taste the pickle and only one person said she hated them. Others were ok with them, and a few really liked them. So you decide if you want to surprise people with pickle cupcakes! Even if you don't, keep this frosting recipe on hand - it's unanimously a winner. In fact, the one person who hated the cupcakes kept sticking her fingers in the frosting, so she didn't in fact "hate" the whole cupcake hahaha! It's cream cheese buttercream with bourbon - delicious!


The recipe says to bake 20-25 minutes, I pulled mine out at 18 and wish I would have checked them sooner - they are a tiny bit on the dry side. They also turned out pretty dense and heavy, I like the flavor but not 100% sure about the texture - if I'm going to eat cake I like the fluffy whipped creamy melt in your mouth kind.

The recipe doesn't say if it's dill or sweet pickles, I went by the reviews and did dill but made sure mine didn't have garlic or other flavors - cuz that sounds bad. I also didn't garnish the frosting with a slice of pickle as recommended - cuz that also sounds bad.

Ingredients:

  • 1 1/2 cup flour
  • 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1/2 cup sour cream
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/4 cup pickle juice
  • 1/4 cup chopped pickles

  • 1/2 cup butter, softened
  • 8 oz. cream cheese, softened
  • 2 cups powdered sugar (note: I added more to make it thicker)
  • 3 Tablespoons bourbon  (note: I added all of like the recipe said but it made the frosting too thin, add 2 Tablespoons and see if you need more)
  • pinch of salt
  • pickle slices, for garnish (optional)
Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 350'. Put 12 cupcake liners in a regular sized cupcake pan. 
  2. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt. In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugar. Add the eggs and beat until combined. Add sour cream and pickle juice, and beat until evenly mixed. Then stir in the flour mixture and chopped pickles until just combined.

3. Divide the batter between the 12 cupcake liners, about 1/4 cup each. Bake until a toothpick inserted into the middle of the cupcake comes out clean, about 20 to 25 minutes (note: that was too long - I did 18 minutes and even that was a couple minutes too long). Let cool completely.


4.Meanwhile, make the frosting: in a large bowl, beat together butter and cream cheese until light and fluffy. Add the powdered sugar, bourbon and salt, beat until smooth. 
5. Spread or pipe frosting onto each cupcake, garnish with a pickle slice if you want.


Makes 12 cupcakes - click here for original source of recipe
















3.27.17: K-cup blue birds











3.27.16: 2 Easter/spring flower arrangement ideas




Happy moment ~ see my helper under the drawers? 


No comments:

Post a Comment