Saturday, March 16, 2019

St. Patrick's Day Plan 2019

I love that St. Patrick's Day is on Sunday this year - we get to have Sunday Supper party edition!

I'm making my traditional crock-pot corned beef, I've posted the recipe before and it's a winner. Soooo easy and everyone loves it. We bought 2 packages of corned beef with seasoning (from Costco, it's really good) for a total of just under 7 pounds, and both pieces will fit in my big crock-pot with the carrots. If you're looking for a dessert idea, I've made this Irish Cream Bundt cake a few times and it's really good, I'm not doing the dessert this year so have no idea what we'll be having!

Menu ~
  • crock-pot corned beef with carrots
  • oven roasted potatoes - cut in half, drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roast at 400' until cooked thru. Toss with a little butter, chopped parsley, additional salt and pepper if it needs it. 
  • steamed cabbage - usually I cut into quarters and remove the core; put in a large pot fitted with a steamer insert or wire colander over enough water to steam and not run dry, but not touching the cabbage - you don't want the cabbage sitting in the water, it needs to steam overtop. Cover and steam until tender,  probably about 10 minutes depending on how full the pot is. If it's crowded it might take longer. *This year I'm going to do it just a bit different after reading a recipe online that looks good: chop it into 1" strips and steam it over some of the broth I'll take out of the corned beef in the crock pot and a tablespoon of caraway seeds. 
  • horseradish sauce - super simple, just combine equal parts greek yogurt and mayo, stir in  creamed horseradish to taste - and a variety of mustards for the corned beef.
  • Irish soda bread - I use Christa's recipe and promised not to share it, but you can find other recipes online. It's a quick bread that is simple to make, loaded with plump raisins and sprinkled with sugar before baking. 
If I decide to make a salad I'll do this all green version we had for dinner a couple nights ago - it has butter lettuce, chopped snap peas, chopped cucumber, chopped avocado, and quartered artichoke hearts mixed together with a creamy mustard dressing. It's delicious!

For table decorations (and party favors) ~
  • Attempted once again to paint rocks. This time turned out a little better but I'm resigning myself to the sad fact that I'm not able to paint dots very well. Sigh.                               
these are "sham-rocks"...get it?!! hahahahaha....
  • I also have little terra cotta pots filled with shamrocks, clear votive holders filled with dried green split peas with a tea light nestled in, and gold chocolate coins I'll scatter around the table. 
3.16.18: how to make felt shamrocks
3.16.17: make these green tassel earrings for St. Patricks Day (or any time!)
3.16.16: kid coloring page 


Happy moment ~ neighbors black cat sitting on the roof 

No comments:

Post a Comment