Wednesday, August 14, 2019

Chocolate Chip Cookie Ice Cream Cake

I made dessert for Jeff's birthday - I know he loves when I make chocolate chip cookie ice cream sandwiches but it's been hectic around here and those take a while to make, and it's super hot and humid out so the ice cream melts really fast so you have to work quickly or it gets messy (ok, ok, let's just say it - I was being lazy). So I had the idea that I should just try to make an ice cream cake version of the sandwiches; did a little looking around to see if anyone had a great recipe and ended up just winging this one up - and, not to pat my own back or anything, this is SO good and looks really pretty! And as an added bonus it's also quick and easy so my laziness stays intact...


One thing I saw while googling around is this recipe for "no-churn ice cream" that was promised to taste just like the real thing, no one could supposedly tell the different, but it's creamier and won't melt before assembling the cake - so I bit and made it. Nope, not like real ice cream and nope, doesn't taste like real ice cream but guess what? Totally didn't matter because it's super good anyway! It's like fluffy frozen cheesecake and fantastic. Try it!

Lightly spray a 9" springform pan with non-stick spray, line the bottom with a 9" parchment circle (not sure if this is necessary but I didn't want the cake to stick). Press chocolate chip cookie dough evenly into the bottom of the pan - I used about 1/2 tub of Tollhouse cookie dough (note the above comment regarding my laziness, I did not make homemade dough). Bake until dough is done according to package instructions. I also baked 6 cookies using the same tub of dough for topping the cake.

Once the cookie base is completely cool spread with chocolate sauce. Top with the "ice cream" layer and freeze until solid - I let it freeze overnight. Once frozen I spread a little cool whip on top and piped cool whip frosting swirls around the top edge. Chop up the 6 cookies and pile in the center. Throw on a handful of mini chocolate chips and drizzle with chocolate sauce. Remove from springform pan and let thaw a few minute before serving.

Is your mouth watering yet?


"Ice Cream":
  • 8 oz. cream cheese, softened
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 1/8 cup milk
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla
  • 8 oz. cool whip
Combine cream cheese and sugar together until completely combined and fluffy. Add the milk and vanilla and mix well. Fold in the cool whip. 

Cool Whip Frosting:

  • 8 oz cool whip
  • 1 box vanilla pudding
  • 1 cup milk
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla

Whisk the pudding, milk, and vanilla in a bowl until smooth. Fold in the cool whip.


No comments:

Post a Comment