Thursday, August 8, 2019

My Sis is Hungry: French Onion Soup with Cauliflower

This recipe was in a Costco magazine from 10/18; it caught my eye because I hate the traditional mushy wet bread floating in french onion soup and if I'm ordering it at a restaurant I always ask them to leave it out (I know, I know, can't tell you how many times I've heard "but that's the best part"!) - this recipe replaces the bread with cauliflower (side note: what starch can't they replace with cauliflower? It's definitely a thing!) so I thought I'd give it a try for this week's "my sis is hungry" meal. Here's what she thinks about it:


Who makes soup when its 95 degree’s out?  Oh that’s right, my sister does – who coincidentally keeps her house at a brisk 60 degree’s in the summer.  As a side note- I can almost see my breath in there.  You can splash the warm soup up onto your face to get warm. 
Anyway..I digress.  So soup at the end of July.  Shockingly delicious.  The husband did not enjoy her tampering with a thing as perfect as French Onion Soup with what appeared to be cauliflower,  one bite confirmed it.. yep cauliflower.  So weird!!  Let me say though that this soup was AMAZING.  The broth was just slightly creamy, not salty like some FO soup can get, just the right amount of onions.  If you removed the cauliflower this would be the perfect French O soup.  So good it could be served in a restaurant.. minus the weird cauliflower… which sadly still tasted ok in it.  Not sure in a soup that tastes this great just “ok” is appropriate tho.  I’d leave the cauliflower out and just eat the amazing rest of the soup.  And if you are eating it at my sisters in July maybe splash some up on your face for warmth. 



*Jill here - for the record my house isn't 60, she's being dramatic. And also for the record, I cannot advise you to splash soup in your face for warmth (insert eyeroll)! I followed the record except for a couple small changes that really really adds so much to french onion soup - I substitute some of the traditional beef stock with chicken stock. Seriously, it makes a big difference. If you don't want to do the whole 'cauliflower low-carb' thing just put the bread on top and skip the cauliflower step. The other thing I do is to chop up some of the onion in small pieces instead of leaving it all sliced - adds a lot to the texture.

1 T. unsalted butter
1 T. olive oil
2 lb. onions (recipe calls for Vidalia, I used sweet yellow), halved lengthwise, then cut at least 1 lb. in thin slices and chop the rest
1 t. salt, divided
black pepper to taste
1/3 cup white wine
2 t. dry sherry
2 T. flour
4 cups beef stock
1 cup chicken stock
3 sprigs fresh thyme
1 bay leaf
5 cups small cauliflower florets (about 1 lb)
2 cups (5 1/2 oz.) coarsely shredded gruyere or swiss cheese


In a dutch oven or large pot, melt the butter with the oil over medium-low heat. Add the onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until they are soft, about 15 minutes. Add 1/4 t. salt and pepper to taste and continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until the onions are golden brown and caramelized, 30 to 35 minutes.


Add the wine and sherry, increase the heat to high and cook until the liquid evaporates, about 3 minutes. Add the flour and cook, stirring, for 2 to 3 minutes to cook the flour. Add the stock, thyme, bay leaf, and remaining 3/4 t. salt. Bring to a boil. Cover, reduce the heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes to meld thee flavors. Discard the thyme and bay leaf. Add the cauliflower florets and simmer until crisp-tender, 12 to 15 minutes.


When ready to serve, adjust an oven rack about 6 inches from the heating element. Ladle 1 1/2 cups of soup into each of 6 ovenproof bowls. Top each with 1/3 cup cheese, place on a sheet pan and broil until golden and bubbling, 3-4 minutes. Serve hot. Makes 6 servings. (note: we didn't put these in the oven to melt the cheese!)





No comments:

Post a Comment