Thursday, August 1, 2019

My Sis is Hungry: Cowboy Pasta Salad

I found this recipe for 'Cowboy Pasta Salad' on Pinterest and asked my sis if she wanted it for 'my sis is hungry' review this week, she did (because what's not to like about pasta with meat and veggies in a spicy creamy sauce that you can eat cold, at room temp, or warmed up? Also because why would she turn down free dinner LOL). Here's her take on it: 


No idea what today’s meal was called or what was in it but it was fantastic.  Sorry for the spoiler alert right out of the gate.  So good.

Jill’s instructions were that we could eat it cold or hot, there was optional bacon and jalapenos as well. of course we added both of those things because.. well.. why wouldn’t you?  Crazy not to .
We tried it cold first, it was good. But then after we heated it up- wow.  We don’t really love cold pasta so not a surprise to us that we preferred it hot.

The bowtie pasta was the perfect pasta for this.  Had great flavor.  Jill also left out the black beans for the husband, but that would have been good in there also if you were looking for a way to “fiber it up”. 
Loved this.  Husband gave it a 8- I’m going 8 ½.  I would make this again…. Or better yet I would eat it if she made it for me again. Yep- I’m a giver.

UPDATE ...  I took the leftovers and put on a good size pile of spinach (to try and make “healthier” and get those greens in!) This was fantastic also!! Can’t go wrong with this delicious pasta… yum.


Pasta Salad Ingredients:
  • 3/4 pound mini farfalle or other small pasta
  • 1 pound lean (90/10) ground beef
  • 1/4 cup diced yellow onion
  • 1 (4 oz.) can mild green chiles
  • 1 t. chili powder
  • 1 t. ground cumin
  • 3/4 t. garlic powder
  • 3/4 t. salt
  • 1 green bell pepper, chopped (note: this ended up being too much green pepper for me, I'll do 1/2 a pepper next time - and probably use a different color pepper, green isn't my favorite)
  • 1/2 cup sweet corn, lightly cooked (I did 2 ears wrapped in plastic wrap for 1.30 minutes in the microwave, then cut off the cob)
  • 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
  • 1 cup shredded mexican cheese blend
  • 2 T. chopped cilantro
  • 8 slices cooked thick bacon, chopped
Dressing:
  • 1/3 cup ketchup
  • 1/3 cup mayo
  • 1/3 cup Greek yogurt
  • 1/4 cup salsa
  • 6 T. chipotle salsa (or to taste)
  • 1 T. brown sugar
  • 1 T. Worcestershire sauce
  • 1 T. yellow mustard
  • 1 T. apple cider vinegar
  • 1/2 t. salt
  • 1/2 t. pepper
Instructions:

Whisk together all of the dressing ingredients in a medium bowl, adjust seasonings to taste; set aside.


Cook pasta until al dente (don't overcook) according to package directions. Rinse with cold water to stop the cooking and drain. Put in a large bowl.

Brown meat with onion in a large skillet breaking it into small pieces. Drain off any excess grease (I didn't have any), stir in green chilies and the spices. Set aside too cool.

Toss the cooled meat mixture and the chopped veggies with the pasta. Stir in about 1/2 of the dressing. Fold in cheese and cilantro. 


When ready to serve, add the cooked bacon and remaining dressing, stir until everything is evenly incorporated. This pasta salad can be served chilled, room temperature, or heated thru.

Jill here: the original recipe calls for 4-6 T. diced canned jalapeño peppers and hot sauce to taste - I left them out (because the label says "hot" and I was too scared to add them LOL) but sent home with my sissy, she can add to her spiciness level. I changed the original recipe just a little bit, click here for recipe source. 

No comments:

Post a Comment