Thursday, August 15, 2019

My Sis is Hungry: Cheeseburger Shepherds Pie

So the description from Jill was “Cheeseburger Shepherd’s Pie”.  Not sure what that means really but I’m still all in for free food (and not cooked by me) so willing to have an open mind.



First of all, I make a Shepard’s Pie.  Mine the kids affectionately call “Slop”.  The base is cream of mushroom soup though so it comes out messy. .. which is why they call it slop.  That however is NOT what this is. 
As I describe it though I’m afraid I won’t make it sound as good as it is.  So good that I ate it for breakfast again this morning.  Hope it’s healthy so I don’t have to go for a run before I eat it again at noon for lunch.

First bite almost gave off a spaghetti sauce flavor, but then no.. the pickles kick in.  Pickles?  In Shepherds Pie?  I think the name really should have been something like Cheeseburger Casserole because that would have been more accurate.  It actually tastes like a delicious cheeseburger with ketchup and pickles.. eaten with a spoon.  Oh and with delicious mashed potato’s on top.  See, I told you my description wasn’t going to help sell it.  WAY better than my description and WAY better than her name.  

Husband was gone so didn’t try it yet but I loved it and give it a 8.  Yum.  I could absolutely make this one.. when she is done being my personal chef and making my meals maybe I will.


CHEESEBURGER SHEPHERDS PIE

  • 1 1/2 lbs. russet potatoes, peeled and cut up into chunks
  • 1/2 cup light sour cream
  • 1/4 cup milk
  • 1 cup (4 oz.) shredded cheddar cheese, divided
  • 1 1/2 lbs. lean ground beef
  • 1 medium red sweet pepper, chopped
  • 1 medium onion, chopped (1/2 cup)
  • 2 cloves minced garlic
  • 6 oz. frozen corn (1 1/2 cups)
  • 1 cup water
  • 1 (6 oz) can tomato paste
  • 1/2 cup coarsely chopped dill pickles
  • 1/4 cup yellow mustard
  • 1 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed


1. Preheat oven to 350'. In a large saucepan cook potatoes in enough lightly salted water to cover for 15 to 20 minutes or until tender; drain. Mash with a potato masher or beat with an electric mixer on low speed. Gradually add sour cream, milk, 1/2 teaspoon salt, mashing or beating until potato mixture is light and fluffy. Stir in 1/2 cup of the cheese. 

2. Meanwhile, in a large skillet cook beef, sweet pepper, onion, and garlic over medium heat until brown, stirring to break up meat. Drain off any fat. Stir in corn, water, tomato paste, pickles, mustard, and oregano. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, 5 minutes to blend flavors. Stir in remaining 1/2 cup cheese. 

                      

3. Spoon beef mixture into a 2 1/2 quart baking dish. Spoon mashed potatoes in mounds over beef mixture. Sprinkle with additional cheddar cheese. Bake 20 minutes or until heated through and cheese melts. 

                     

Makes 6 servings. 

found this recipe at BHG.com

Jill's note: my sis is totally right, do not expect this to taste like traditional shepherds pie - it really is like a deconstructed cheeseburger with mashed potatoes; the couple bites I tried was delicious and I will definitely make it again! I'll leave out the red pepper for Dave, don't think the recipe will suffer for it. 
















No comments:

Post a Comment