Saturday, January 14, 2023

Sweet Tea Swagger

I've had this recipe in my files since 2016 and am just now realizing I'm not going to make it - I don't like sweet tea! I guess it reminded me of Long Island ice tea, which I do like, but I don't think this is going to taste like that. I'd love for someone who does like sweet tea (and cocktails) to make it and tell us how it tastes hahahah. I'm intrigued but not enough to do anything about it. 

I'm also curious about the brown sugar - usually when sugar is added to cocktails it's either super-fine white sugar or simple syrup (which is typically white sugar and water boiled until it thickens), so I wonder  how much of a difference brown sugar adds. Still not curious enough to make it tho....

It seems like maybe more of a warm weather drink, so I'd probably leave the watermelon out - the rum will warm you up! LOL. 

Ingredients:
  • 6 cups water
  • 8 black tea bags, such as Earl Grey
  • 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1 1/2 cups dark rum
  • 1/4 cup lime juice
  • ice cubes
  • 2 cups club soda
  • 3 cups seedless watermelon cut into 1/2" cubes
  • lime wedges
  • fresh mint
Directions:

 1. In a small saucepan bring 3 cups of the water to boiling. Remove from heat. Add tea bags; let steep for 10 minutes. Discard tea bags. Transfer tea to a heatproof pitcher. 

2. Stir brown sugar into tea until dissolved. Stir in the remaining 3 cups water, the rum, and lime juice. Cover and chill for 2 to 48 hours. 

3. To serve, pour tea mixture into glasses over ice cubes. Slowly pour in club soda; stir gently. Garnish with watermelon, lime wedges, and mint.

found at bhg.com


No comments:

Post a Comment