Tuesday, January 17, 2023

Tip-sy Tuesday: Ham Stock

Today's tip is a little boring, but useful if you want to make the ham soup I'll post about tomorrow. I froze the leftover ham bone from Christmas and it's been chilly and raining here so I thought I'd get the bone out and make some soup. First up is to make stock from the ham bone.

In a large crockpot (or big pot on the stove) put the bone (meat still on it is good, you can also pick away most of the meat and set aside for adding back to the soup later), a couple stalks of celery, a chunk of onion, and any seasonings that sound good to you - I added black pepper and dried thyme. Add enough water to cover at least half of the bone, I added about 8 cups. I set the crockpot on high for a couple hours and then turned down to low for another 4 hours. If you do it on the stovetop I'd simmer for a couple hours. It's not an exact science, just boil the bone in water to make stock. Strain into a big bowl and refrigerate the stock until ready to use it. Pick out any good pieces of ham from what you strained out and discard the rest of the solids. 

When I made the soup this morning I removed the stock from the fridge and there was a solid layer of solidified fat on top - just skim that off with a big spoon and throw it out. Ham is fatty enough without adding that layer back into the soup!

Come back tomorrow and I'll show you how I made really flavorful ham soup with all kinds of good things in the stock.

1.17.22: sliding side lunge

1.17.21: ðŸ”¥ week 3

1.17.20: fried cabbage with bacon

1.17.19: how to clean a fan
1.17.17: tuna-egg salad



No comments:

Post a Comment