Friday, April 7, 2023

Rice Dyed Easter Eggs

I've seen this technique for dying hard boiled eggs everywhere lately - I don't know if it's a 'new' thing or if I just haven't been paying attention hahaha, either way I tried it and it's fun! It's very easy and other than getting food dye on my hands when opening the bottles (!) it's relatively not too messy. 


I only boiled a couple eggs to try this out, adjust the amounts of rice and food color for however many eggs you have to dye. I put 1/4 cup rice in a ziplock baggie and added 5 drops of gel-based food color (if you use regular food coloring you'll probably want more drops), seal the bag and shake it to completely coat the rice. Add a hard boiled egg, reseal the bag and shake some more until it's coated as much as you want - the more shaking you do the more coated the egg gets, mine is almost solid colored in places so if you want a heavier coating just keep shaking! 

I started with pink then added blue dye to the pink rice and made purple - I put a pink colored egg into the purple and lightly shook it for a rainbow-colored look. Place on a paper plate to dry. 






If you want more info just Google rice dyed eggs and there are lots of people who've done it! One thing I read is that after you shake a few eggs you might need to add more dye to the rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment