Monday, August 14, 2023

How to Sew a Pillowcase

When cleaning out my mom's house we found an old sheet that she had saved of our brothers - Jenny had the idea to make pillowcases out of it and I loved that idea. I've never made a pillowcase so of course spent way too much time watching youtube videos before remembering it's just a rectangle and get making one already hahaha. 

The sheet is 64"wide x 95"long and the pattern runs across the width. I wanted the pattern to be horizontal on the pillowcase so I had 64" max to work with - standard pillowcases are approx 20x30 with about a 4" hem on the open end but I didn't have that much fabric so my hem is only about 2". There are lots of videos showing how to do special hems or cuffs but short of sewing on additional fabric I couldn't do anything special. 

For each pillowcase I cut a rectangle 64" x 21 1/2" figuring on a roughly 1/2 inch seam for the sides. Fold in half with right sides together and sew the long ends together. I made a second seam using a zigzag stitch along the raw edge to help it not ravel. Fold the open end back 2" and iron. Unfold and fold the raw edge under about 1/4" and iron, folding the edge under and then folding again will help keep the raw edge from unraveling. Sew the hem close to the folded edge, Then again about 1/4" from the first seam. 

Turn right side out, poke the corners from the inside to get them fully turned. Iron so it's nice and sharp and you're done. Easy!

If you have more material to work with you can make a deeper hem/cuff or endlessly watch videos to see how to do some different cuffs!


1/2" seam where the pin is above

and a zigzag seam along the raw edge (the pin is pointing at it in the above pic)


2 seams to hem the open end (where you'll insert the pillow)




it also works as a cover for the back of my office chair. the pattern is going
the 'wrong' way but it's still cute and I enjoy seeing it every day while working!

8.14.22: 🔥 week 33

8/14.21: buffalo dip




8.14.17: make a personalized shopping bag

8.14.16: quebec chicken



No comments:

Post a Comment