Friday, August 4, 2023

My Sister Tried It: Overnight Oats

This one is a trend I’m way late to jump on. 

Overnight oats. 

I see “recipe’s” for variations on this over and over. My friends rave about how they love them, and finally this week my teen asked if I have a mason jar because she’s making hers in a cup. We promptly went to the dollar store and while buying her a jar decided for one whole dollar to get myself one. (Why does a normal adult woman not already own a mason jar? Great question). 

Anyway- decided to start with a basic recipe. I tend to be more of a banana/peanut butter person versus a fruit person so went the banana route. Equal parts oatmeal, skim milk, chopped banana, protein powder. I was worried that this might not be sweet enough, but I didn’t want to add any sugar to it unnecessarily so decided to try it first. 

I shook my ingredients in my brand, new mason jar and put it in the fridge. Low and behold, oatmeal. It was definitely sweet enough as it is, so I am glad I didn’t add to it, but not going to lie, didn’t love it. Cold mushy oatmeal Felt like what I thought prison food would be. I then decided to put it in the microwave to see if that helped. It was better, still not great. I can see why some people like it because it was easy and healthy, but I’m going to mark this one up to a waste of a dollar for me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment