Friday, August 4, 2017

California Roll...by Brooke



This kid amazed me with her mad sushi rolling skills! Who knew (or my new favorite word from Candy "whodaknew")?


She bought me a "sushi kit" for Christmas (because she is addicted to sushi and every time we go to lunch that's what she wants...so my "gift" was to be able to make it at home with her) - all the kit has in it is a rolling mat and a small instruction pamphlet. I had my doubts.

I made sticky rice in my rice cooker (I've found that medium grain white rice is the way to go to get it good and sticky!),  once it was cooked spread it on a cookie sheet to cool, then sprinkle with white vinegar. Meanwhile Brooke sliced cucumber, avocado, and imitation crab legs in long thin strips.

I didn't help her at all - just stood back and observed. Apparently from watching the restaurant guys making this for so long she knew just what to do. Put down a sheet of nori (I found this at our regular grocery store in the Asian ingredient aisle) on the mat, cover with a layer of sticky rice, spread with cream cheese (optional), layer the veggies and crab, roll up tight using the mat, and slice. Seriously, look how professional this looks!







Impressive, right? Aunt Jill was lazy and made herself a "deconstructed" bowl of california roll hahah. Skipped the nori and the rolling and just put all the ingredients in a bowl :). Tastes the same, but nowhere near as pretty!


one year ago today: short hairstyle ideas

No comments:

Post a Comment