Sunday, August 27, 2017

Broccoli Salad

 I think of this as sort of an "old-fashioned" recipe, it feels like every church potluck I've ever been to has some version of this (along with cheesy potatoes!); I'd gotten out of the habit of making it but just the other day came across my tried and true recipe and since then have made it twice - I'm remembering how much I like it...sometimes oldies really are goodies! Here's my version:



1 pound bacon, cooked and crumbled (I usually just use pre-cooked chopped up bacon 'cuz I'm lazy and it's just fine in this salad)
2 pounds broccoli, chopped into bite-sized pieces
3 stalks celery, chopped
1 cup dried cranberries (occasionally I use golden raisins but I prefer the cranberries)
1 cup mayo (light is fine, you could also substitute half with plain greek yogurt to lighten it up more)
2 T. white vinegar
1/4 cup sugar (I use a little less)
1/4 cup half and half (or I'll use whatever milk I have on hand)

Put the broccoli in a big microwaveable bowl and cook on high for a couple minutes (you can leave it raw but I like it cooked just a little bit - don't cook it all the way though or the salad will be mushy). Add the celery, bacon, cranberries or raisins and mix to combine.

In a small measuring bowl combine the remaining ingredients and add to the broccoli mixture, toss to combine well. Refrigerate 2 hours. Makes 6-8 servings


one year ago today: Moscow Mule

No comments:

Post a Comment