Wednesday, August 23, 2017

Buckeyes

Guess what my sister wanted for her birthday dessert (again) this year? The usual Buckeyes of course ;). Last year she "didn't want dessert" but I made her a peanut butter chocolate layered thing anyway...this year it's back to Buckeyes. These are easy, just a little time consuming...



1 1/2 cups peanut butter
1/2 cup unsalted butter (1 stick), softened
4 cups powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
pinch of coarse salt (if using salted butter do not add this salt)


semi-sweet chocolate chips
2 Tablespoons shortening or butter

Combine the peanut butter, butter, powdered sugar, vanilla, and salt (if using); mix until everything is well incorporated and smooth. Using a small cookie scoop or spoon make small balls (I roll them in my palms to make them round); put on a lined cookie sheet and stick a toothpick in the top of each one,  freeze until firm. Note you can skip the toothpick but it's easier for dipping them.

Once the balls are firm, melt chocolate chips and shortening in a microwavable bowl (a few seconds at a time, stir, then continue microwaving until melted and smooth). One at a time dip the balls into the chocolate, covering about 3/4 of the ball so there is a little peanut butter showing at the top. You can either remove the toothpicks at this point and smooth over the hole, or leave the toothpick in. Pop them back in the fridge or freezer until the chocolate is set. I prefer to leave them in the fridge or freezer until serving, once they start warming up they get melty.

To make them a little more "festive" this year for Jen's birthday, I dipped the bottom of some of them in some sprinkles when the chocolate wasn't set yet - and to give them to her I put them in little candy cups (or mini muffin liners) and put them in a covered bowl.

anyone else have a strong need to stick
their finger into a brand new jar of peanut
butter? I cannot help myself ;) Good thing
Dave is allergic so the jar is all for myself
after I've stuck my (clean!) finger in it LOL


one year ago today: how to baste an egg

No comments:

Post a Comment