Thursday, August 24, 2017

Shelley's Apple Pudding

Today is Dave's birthday so I want to share one of his all-time favorite desserts...Apple Pudding. I have no idea why it's called "pudding" because it's more like a thin spice cake but it's super moist with the pie filling in the batter so maybe that's it - and what can I say about the most delicious caramel-like sauce spooned over top of the warm cake other than it is heavenly. Truly a wonderful dessert!

Back story - early on in our relationship he took a fishing trip with the guys; Shelly, the cook at the lodge, made this one night and he took it upon himself to go back to the kitchen and ask her for the recipe for me. I didn't know him well enough at the time to know this is something he'd never done before, and he certainly hasn't done it since - this cake is that good :) So I have her hand-written recipe on a piece of notebook paper in my file, and Dave drew a little picture of himself on it with a big-ole belly indicating it's what he'd look like after eating this hahaha. I feel bad that I don't know what lodge he was at, or Shelley's last name, to give her credit - and she deserves it!


1 cup sugar
1/4 cup butter
2 eggs
1 cup flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
2/3 teaspoon cinnamon
2/3 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 can apple pie filling

Cream sugar, butter and eggs. Add pie filling then remaining
ingredients. Mix thru. Bake 350' for 40 minutes.

Note the recipe doesn't say what size pan - I make it in a 13x9 sprayed with non-stick cooking spray, cut it into squares to serve, spoon the sauce over top. The cake is about an inch tall, you could probably make it in a smaller pan and have it be thicker but it's so good the way it turns out in the 13x9 I've never wanted to experiment with other sizes!

Sauce:

1/4 cup butter
1/2 cup evaporated milk
1 cup sugar
pinch salt
2 Tablespoons vanilla

Heat in a saucepan, serve hot.


one year ago today: banana muffins



No comments:

Post a Comment