Monday, August 7, 2017

Pompom Throw

Remember the small pompoms I made into earrings last month? Now that I've learned how easy it is to make pompoms I found another fun thing to do with them - tack large ones onto the corners of a throw. I bought this throw for cheap planning to use it to back a crocheted afghan, but I've been seeing these pompom throws everywhere and wanted to make one...and since I've mentioned before what an instant gratification kind of crafter I am (using whatever I have on hand when the whim strikes) I'm using the throw for this project and will get something else for the backing!

Click here to see how to make your own pompoms (quick reminder: make 2 circles and cut a smaller circle from the middles, notch it so they make a "c" shape, wind yarn around, cut between the 2 circles to make a whole bunch of fringe, thread a long piece of yarn thru the 2 circles and tie the pompom together, remove the cardboard) - for these I increased the size of the cardboard to 4 inches with a 1 inch circle cut out of the middle. Then just wind the yard all the way across and back - I repeated across and back to make sure they're thick enough, you want nice full pompoms. Follow the instructions I showed you when making the earrings - carefully cut between the 2 pieces of cardboard (you really have to hold this good, it's now so big if you let go of any of the ends you'll have a big old mess and a pile of little bits of yarn!), run a long length of yarn between the 2 pieces and tie very tightly, then trim the pompom into a nice round shape. Then simply stitch to the corners of a throw - I just ran my needle threaded with embroidery floss thru the pompom and attached to the corner a couple times.

Cute, right? Let's call this "Christmas in August" (it's a new thing I just made up hahah) and plan ahead for some easy fun gifts!




Note: by the time I made the fourth pompom I had an idea to make this even easier - put the long piece of yarn between the 2 pieces of cardboard before winding on the yarn, you have to sort of work around the long piece but once you're ready to cut the pompom the long piece is right there ready to hold everything together...one less thing to try to maneuver while holding the lose yarn in your hand.

PS: these are super thick and you'll want to use scissors that can stand up to the heavy cutting - I actually broke a pair trying to get thru all the yarn!

One year ago today: roasted tomatoes, zucchini, and white beans. We still eat this all the time, so good...

No comments:

Post a Comment